Celebrate Independence Day, 1815 style! The War of 1812 has ended and the Indiana Territory is on the verge of statehood. Free Admission both days.
- Saturday, June 30th open from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Sunday, July 1st open from noon to 5 pm.
Join us at Venoge for great family fun.
- Learn what it was like to be in a local militia during the war of 1812. We will be portraying Elisha Golay’s local militia company and reenactors will be on hand to re-count activities from their time during the war of 1812.
- In the main house, watch us prepare the midday meal over the hearth and sample breads and pies fresh from our outdoor bake oven.
- Enjoy Thomas Family Winery’s wines, delicious brick oven baked breads and cheese.
- Relax and experience traditional early 19th century music provided by Michael Thompson and the Travelling Caudell’s.
- At 2 pm, dance along with the Forget-me-nots and Deborah Hyland as she calls the dancing.
- Later in the afternoon, the Declaration of Independence will be read followed by a patriotic speech.
- Stroll through the property and experience traditional trades of the day.
- Rope making
- Appreciate the decorative arts and create your own decorative box using the technique of Vinegar Graining.
- Walk through the newly built barn at Venoge. Browse the Venoge history exhibit, try a few games popular during the early 19th century and stop by our small gift shop.
Special Ticketed Event
Traditional Ox Roast Dinner and Evening Independence Day Program
Saturday, June 30th from 5 to 8 pm
Join us as we celebrate the Fourth of July at Venoge as the French Swiss settlers would have done in Switzerland County in 1805.
The 1805 event included the reading of the Declaration of Independence, orations given by citizens, thirteen toasts to the Republic followed by country dancing. Trenches were dug for an all-day fire to roast an ox, a technique learned at the First Vineyard in Kentucky.
Ticket price includes the ox roast main course, two sides, dessert and beverage, speeches, music and dancing. Mingle with the militia and the French Swiss residents and celebrate independence the 1815 way!
Purchase Tickets in person at the Switzerland Co. Historical Society
For additional ticket information, call 812-593-5726 or email@example.com
- $15 adults
- $10 children
- Free – under 6
This event has a limited number of tickets, so don’t wait until the last minute to reserve a spot.